[dba-Tech] Big money and big data

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 22 12:36:58 CST 2014

In the database community there is a divide showing and that is between those who program in traditional SQL type databases and those who use the new big data tools. It is not just in split between developer in database types but also in Open Source versus proprietary.

According to the following article a full-time programmer in the traditional databases can expect a wage in the 50 to 60K bracket while the medium salary for those is big data development can expect a salary around 120K...double.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/big-data-analytics/data-scientists-can-find-big-money-in-open-source/#.

If I was a young boy or girl going into database industry what direction would I naturally take?