[dba-Tech] Windows will rise again.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 29 14:19:42 CST 2014

Hi All:

Is the issue with freezing up a default configuration or is it a setting that someone has to set? If it is a default situation then it is a problem because the average user would not have a clue or even feel they should have to...it should just work right out of the box just like a toaster. ;-)

The truth is I do not have a "Dog in this fight". I have updated no one to Windows 8 and do not have any Windows 8.x computers. When Windows 9 comes out, I will take another serious look as I believe that Windows 9 will have gotten a lot of the issues resolved, be able to swap from desktop to web instantly and have a lot more features...the bottom line is that I do not have to move my desktops and those of any clients anywhere...we are just happy where we are. The desktop OS is becoming more irrelevant as the industry evolves...all you need is a (good) browser.

OTOH, building servers and the software they support, now that is where the money is...and most of the latest technology...and there is no Windows 8 in that world...databases, software deployment, server side software, email servers, web servers, cloud servers, backups, network security, user management and so on. The other concern is that I do not believe that Microsoft has a firm commitment to the Desktop. One day we may find that, like Google and Firefox, we will only have a MS browser desktop?

Aside: And while we are on the subject, I think the way to install a network is from the server. Have the server constructed on the workbench for your specific client. Assemble all the components, images, features that they need so that when that new server is unboxed on site everything is ready to deploy. Each station will be built from the server and the network should not be OS dependant or should any desktop software...it is a BYOC (bring your own computer) world now. Of course it could be a major point of discussion on how to assemble the perfect server...and I have been working on that for years now.