[dba-Tech] Waterfox

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 04:30:53 CDT 2014

Mark,

First off, Waterfox *is* Firefox, same dev team etc. The only difference,
aside from the slightly different logo, is the 64-bit implementation.

I suspect that the bit you quoted is out of date, because it certainly
appears that Waterfox is now an official release.

My FF and now WF setup loads a half-dozen pages on startup, and there the
difference in load time is noticeable even to a human -- no need for
sub-second benchmarks here.

Regarding the name, it took me a while to "get" it. Perhaps soon we'll see
releases called Earthfox and Airfox.

A.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Mark Breen <marklbreen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Arthur,
>
> From the FF Site, I took this
>

> *Mozilla does not release a 64-bit version of Firefox except for testing.
> The "Nightly" release is intended only for testers and is not recommended
> for day-to-day use. I guess not enough advantage has been demonstrated to
> support a 64-bit release for regular use.*
> What do the Waterfox guys know that FF does not ?
> What would 64 bit give us, if we are only loading simple or even complex
> pages,
> IOW, how can we as browser users consume 64 bits in my browser?
> Finally, how might 64 bits make it faster ?
>

> On 23 July 2014 10:04, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For those who might be interested, there is a 64-bit version of Firefox,
> > that is called Waterfox. It's identical to Firefox with the exception of
> > speed. Since virtually all computers are 64-bit these days, I suggest
> that
> > all Firefox users download Waterfox.
> >
> > I guess that someday soon we'll see Earthfox and Airfox.
> >
> > --
> > Arthur

Arthur