[dba-Tech] Security

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 16 00:29:27 CDT 2014

Hi Ed:

Mac addressing may be better in some instances as they are static but IP address can be hard-wired too...I am not a fan of flexible IP addresses as they can end up causing errors due to address conflict. The bigger the network the more chance for problems even though automatic allocation is supposed to solve that problem. I tend to assign address ranges depending on the department and the types of systems; ie printers. Then servers should all be invisible on the network so their addresses can not be changing. Then there is all the routers and switches which must be static. Mac addresses are great as they are static but can cause issues if they are used to cross-reference with IP addresses as the hardware or just the NIC are always being replaced.