[dba-Tech] Continuous XP support

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed May 28 12:08:33 CDT 2014

On the weekend, I remoted into an office that I had previously replaced half their computers with Ubuntu. This time we replaced the remaining XP boxes, nine plus two laptops with the latest LTS Ubuntu 14.04 release...a piece of cake to say the least. It only took about three hours...considering that a full system backup was done first.

It has been about four years since the first replacements and the one thing they have noticed is that Linux boxes never crash or suffer from malware attacks. For some speciality software they are still using virtual drives or an emulator but even those are gradually being replaced with native equivalent products. (The young lady that is running the office is quite brilliant and is now converted to a total Linux fanatic. :-))

For the office systems that is still running XP clients, in virtual mode, this is great news. Thanks for posting. I will pass it along. :-)