[dba-Tech] Windows Update

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Oct 18 15:01:19 CDT 2014

Hi Jim

No, it runs good old VB script (.vbs) which is native to all newer Windows machines. These days you would use PowerShell for the purpose, but it works as is, and I'm lazy. And actually, it is one script only.

For a new workstation or OS install, nothing is needed other than - as a Domain Admin (me) - to join it to the domain - takes a few seconds - then any Domain User (me and all colleagues) can logon from the machine to the network straight away, and all standard drives are assigned by the script which runs as part of Group Policy. Printers could be assigned as well, but I don't do that, as the preferences are much different from user to user and/or machine to machine - server, workstation, laptop, Surface.

It took me a little, though less than expected, to set up Active Directory for our shop with two sites, but I can't tell how much time it has saved me during the years.

/gustav