[dba-Tech] Want to run you own EMail server

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 25 19:11:00 CDT 2014

The new hMailServer does sound like a good option. I have not looked into its feature yet but if it has Cloud capabilities (from anywhere to anywhere) and if it can be configured to support a web-based interface, it does sound like a worthy replacement for Mercury32.

IMHO, I have had too many problems with server/desktop mail systems as inevitably the mailserver gets hacked as the clients are always doing something weird and opening what they shouldn't. Having a web interface, even if it is just intranet, gives a level of security (browser sandboxing) that traditional mails servers and their clients just can not provide. Having the Cloud and being able to receive mail anywhere, on any device is another bonus.

Have you done some research into how and what service hMailServer provides?