[dba-Tech] The price of free Windows 10

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:17:52 CDT 2015

Martin,

1) According to my readings there are something like 15 PAGES that have
to be visited to "turn it all off"
2) The data is shipped to the cloud.  The cloud is a sieve leaking data
to any bad guy out there.
3) MS makes no bones about using the data to sell to advertisers.  I
don't think so!
4) Security agencies are not my concern.  I am no criminal so I could
care less.  Hackers, bad guys stealing identities etc, THAT I care about.

And from what I am reading this is ALL shipped up to the cloud. THAT is
insane.

MS needs to clearly and concisely define what is shipped out of my
network.  It needs to have a "master switch" to turn it all off.  Or at
least a single (and short) page.

Look, Google collects everything right?  But if I want to I can use
other search engines including ones that swear they don't log or use
anything.  With Windows 10, MS programs the data collection right into
the OS, TELLS us they are doing this, and TELLS us that they intend to
sell it to marketers to target me with Ads.  Not some aggregate data,
SPECIFIC TO ME!!!

So give me a single point "turn it all off" switch and I will use
whatever is left of the OS.

I think that MS has forgotten that I use Windows to LAUNCH PROGRAMS.  It
is supposed to feed the screen, read and write to the disk, handle data
to and from the network.  And so I open windows (7) and use it to open
Excel, Word, Remote Desktop, my games, a browser, Band in a Box...
PROGRAMS.

The OS is a PROGRAM LAUNCHER, or at least that is what I USE IT FOR,
and all I want it to be.  It is supposed to take an amalgamation of
hardware (a PC) and turn it into a system that can BE whatever I want,
whether that is a pong video game or a word processor.  The OS is a
platform, NOT a destination!  And most certainly NOT a spy and a sales
tool for MS.

John W. Colby