[dba-Tech] bye bye biometric authentication, ssl &c

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Aug 18 03:12:55 CDT 2015

Hi Peter

That's a must-read. Thanks.

He has a point regarding your non-replaceable biometric.

More interesting to me however, is his view on firewalls which he argues are of no value "if you don't have an unpatched, vulnerable listening service". Worth a thought.

But he also claims that "if you keep your PC free from malware for more than a year, you've done something special." In that case I must be very special (great feeling on a not-so-special Tuesday!) because in our small shop where I act as the admin, we haven't been hit since we were established in 1993. That's 22 years - from the days of virus on floppy-disks, and we have had Internet access from day one when it was offered by the telcos.

Today we run only the default free Windows Defender, Adblocker Plus, and - perhaps most important - use the CSIS Secure DNS service which blocks malware sites. This combo effectively prevents accidents from a user hitting a malware banner add.

/gustav