[dba-Tech] Which disk format to choose for Linux?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 20 12:09:17 CDT 2015

Hi Tina:

By default Linux uses EXT+ format (ext2, ext3, or ext4) but they are virtually interchangeable. That said Linux can read and write to most standard disk formats, NTFS, FAT32 and HFS+. There are also a number of speciality formats used in Linux. A couple of the most well known are; BTRFS (butter FS) builds a format like B-tree database, for very easy and fast data management and then there is the ultimate drive format, ZFS which allows any number of drives and computers to connect into a single drive and has virtually no size limit (256 zetabytes)...this format is used extensively in large Cloud, archive and backup sites...also the format is noted for its almost perfect record against any data loss.

HTH