[dba-Tech] Gmail Labs

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 04:37:26 CST 2015

For users of Gmail, I just received a mail describing how to enable various
Google Labs, about which I previously knew nothing. I've just installed
several of them and they are quite cool. One of the most valuable, IMO,
changes the look of Gmail to provide an Outlook-like Preview Pane, so you
can still see the Inbox list whilst previewing any given message. Another
lab adds a "Mark as Read" button to the toolbar, so you no longer have to
select the More drop down and then Mark as Read -- a small thing but given
the repetition of that command in daily use, quite useful.

To browse the list of available labs, open Gmail, click the gear icon on
the upper right of the screen to open Settings, and finally click the Labs
item on the horizontal menu. You will see a browse-list of Labs and a pair
of radio buttons for Enable and Disable.

Final note: these are not extensions, but rather enhancements created by
members of the Gmail development team.

Now if only they'd add the other feature I miss from Outlook -- the audible
not that informs me of newly arrived messages.
--
Arthur