[dba-Tech] Updating drivers apps

John R Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Tue Jan 6 13:05:24 CST 2015

Arthur,
You never 'need' a driver unless something doesn't work or something has a
security hole in it. Driver updates are very often very specific to
someone's needs. The updates may break a perfectly functioning system. I
have clients PCs out there that are 10 years old, have NEVER had a driver
update and they continue to run like champs.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ The tech industry pushes a lot of things - mostly
because someone found out that normal people will take any advice they gets
that's free, and they make huge amounts of money from it, but it just isn't
normally needed for a home PC. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Registry cleaners are another snow job, they are just
not normally needed. But a lot of people are so OCD these days that they
can't accept otherwise. And believe me, if you know about the registry, you
know that there is no program made that will make certain every single entry
is needed and used. And you would also know that some entries are rarely or
never used but need to be there in case of very specific occurrences.
Therefore they shouldn't be removed! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ RAM Optimizers are another utility that aren't needed,
especially on a home computer. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't fix it if it ain't broke! :-)