[dba-Tech] Linux kernel development

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 18 14:47:29 CST 2015

I have often wondered what the level of development that goes on with various OSs. The information on iOS is very limited, even on Windows OS but Linux is open.

What I know about the Windows kernel is there is around 20 million lines of code and Linux is closing in with around 15 million lines of code. Linux grows at a rate of around 3,500 lines of code a day. (A senior Linux kernel developer named, Greg Kroah-Hartman, says for every 5000 lines of code added 2000 are removed.) When will the size of Linux grow larger than the Windows OS as its growth is hardly linear, is anyone's guess? Considering that in 2008 Linux was around 10 million lines of code and today, seven years later, its at its present size. (Microsoft has even added 20K lines of code to the Linux core so their new products like the Hyper-V and Azure environment will operate within the Linux infrastructure.)

How many developers are working on kernel development as apposed to product development in both Apple and Windows is not known but it has been estimated there are between 100 and 150 people on Windows (NT) core. I would assume that Apple has a similar staffing. Linux currently has an estimated 1300 developers from 200+ companies and individuals.

The Windows supports around 12 processor architectures, counting 32 and 64 bit versions while Linux supports somewhere around 150+ processors. (Linux, recently dropped support for the 386SX processor but still intends to support all current processors but it is up to the processor designer to supply and contribute technical details and developers.)

For a list of Linux details, a slide presentation and for a book on how the Linux kernel works; for all those brilliant men and women who wanted to know more or become involved in this massive project:

1. http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/04/16/linux-kernel-development-numbers
2. http://www.slideshare.net/ennael/kr2014-kerneldevelopment
3. http://www.kroah.com/lkn

Even though a good understanding of the product would take years (a life-time?), I find it all very fascinating.

In summary, I would hardly recommend a Linux OS over a Windows version as there are times when either system shows superiority, in one environment or another. In gaming Windows is still top but that is changing...but I do not play games anyway so to me that is not a plus for me. I am most familiar with the Ubuntu desktop, which I admit is a bit of a porker but performance wise it matches Windows so that is not an issue. Linux does handle the internet and large corporations very well (the best) as it scales out infinitely, is stable as a rock and extremely secure but it has a steep learning curve. Even though all high end graphic packages are the domain of Linux, on the desktop, especially with Adobe products, they are just not supported by Linux...this is definitely a bit of a disappointment as I extensively use this company's graphic packages.

Aside: I have been working on building a portable Container/Virtual/USB drive for my Adobe packages so they can be moved from computer to computer, regardless of OS...my Adobe investment is many thousands and not something I wish to repeat every year. I do not think Adobe's Cloud based attempts are likely to solve these issues. It is interesting to note though, that the latest versions of Adobe products (Cloud based) are written and run on Debian Linux.