[dba-Tech] New media packages that work across platforms

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 20 14:15:42 CST 2015

There are two new media applications that can virtually work on any OS.

For sound editing and music management here is a great program called Qtractor. I have not used it myself but have heard it is excellent. It is not a full professional studio application but it doesn't cost $10K for an entrance level package either:

http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html

For graphic designing and hand drawing here is a great graphic application. The program is not a replacement for Adobe Photoshop, which is dedicated to photo retouching but a app developed like Painter for computer drawing and painting. It works on all touch screens but is best supported on Cintiq and Waccom tablets:

https://krita.org

There is a full list of Youtude online training videos, explaining all the features and how to use them and even a DVD, reasonably priced at $40.

Credentials for the product can be summed up with one of the latest events: https://krita.org/item/goodbye-photoshop-and-hello-krita-at-university-paris-8

I will definitely be downloading and using Krita as it is truly brilliant.