[dba-Tech] Friday OT: Headphones

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jan 30 12:14:31 CST 2015

Hi John

The big trade-off is that wireless audio - typically via Blootooth - is compressed using lossy algorithms that don't match hi-quality digital audio at, say, 320 Kbps. For watching TV and such, they can be OK, but not for critical listening. Also, a wired headphone is always "ready to run".

I could have recommended Sennheiser, also Beyer and Logitech. Usually brandnames are never really bad but cheap models are not built to last. Up to around the cost of the KRK phones you mostly get what you pay for.

The only exception, I know of, is the hyped Beats. These should be really awful with an exaggerated bass that only hip-hoppers and disco junkies may prefer.

The very best is, of course, to bring your own favourite music and go to a store and listen. Quite often shops with music and studio gear offer this service. The KRKs I bought at a local music shop.

/gustav