[dba-Tech] Windows 10 activation

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jul 29 11:57:05 CDT 2015

Hi all

Windows 10 is now running in my workstation at home. I couldn't wait.

One new feature I haven't noticed before is, that it contains a pre-installed PDF printer alongside the XPS printer. Oh boy, it should have been there years ago but better later than never. No more third-party installs needed.

Also, in desktop mode, a PDF opens for native viewing in the Edge browser. Not even a reader is needed. Great.

As I upgraded my MAPS licensed Windows 8.1 with an Windows 10 Enterprise install, it should have activated but it hadn't.
I used again the tip mentioned below, and it is as simple. As you do have a product key, skip 2. and start with item 3.:

<tip>
How to activate Windows 10 build 10240

1.Open an elevated command prompt.

2.Type the following command and hit the Enter key:

    slmgr /ipk W269N-WFGWX-YVC9B-4J6C9-T83GX

    Wait for the message box popup that the key is installed.

3.Now type the following command and press Enter:

    slmgr /skms kms.xspace.in

    Again, wait for the message box.

4.Finally, enter the following command:

    slmgr /ato

After you hit the Enter key, Windows 10 build 10240 will become activated.
</tip>

If you have the GUI activation open, it will update at once.

So do try this before you start entering other product keys.

/gustav