[dba-Tech] ownCloud

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 2 12:42:06 CDT 2015

Hi Tina:

The ownCloud is basically free but there are service costs if you need it setup (if you are a business) and there is also a hosting service which I would suspect costs as well. There is a pricing policy but it is based on volume and usage.

I am not sure what you know about DNS so I will assume that you do not know anything...my apologies if you are already versed in the basics. The other main costs is that you must have a domain registered. That is not particularly expensive. I have my main domain directed to a service like ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.com), is forwarded from there to my IP address. This service allows me to create any number subdomains like https://jim.MyDomain.com, https://tina.MyDomain.com and so on. ZoneEdit's services are free for one domain and for unlimited subdomains within that domain. Within a home or business network, these subdomains can be forwarded to any server in the network..to do any local Domain management (hosting and forwarding) you must have a Internet server like IIS or Apache (they are free) running on one of the network servers and all internet traffic routed to it (via your router of course). Example of getting the latest IIS version: http://www.iis.net/learn/install/installing-iis-85 or Apache version: http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

This is unrelated, directly, to the installation of ownCloud but if you are "rolling your own", on your own network, all the above must be in place first. (though not nearly as difficult as it may sound, this is used as an excuse for having ownCloud hosted...which to my way of thinking defeats much of the purpose for having ownCloud. ;-))  The only other issue of note is that ownCloud only runs on a 64 bit computer. Until recently ownCloud only ran on Linux but it has been ported to all major operating systems. Here is a brief overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OwnCloud

Of course, you can go the DigitalOcean route (https://www.digitalocean.com). It can be a pretty cheap way to get an internet presence going. For example: if you choose the $5 basic package and enter the promo code "dounplugged", you will get a $10 bonus, which means three months for $5. If you use more than resources you just pay more but there are no penalties for overages. The droplet can be presetup with ownCloud application, all ready to go (there are also extensive tutorials on everything related):

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-the-owncloud-one-click-install-application

I may try to see if I can get a MS Access application running...BE on ownCloud and FE on the desktop station but of course it will only work if the internet connection is stable otherwise it is ADO.