[dba-Tech] Vagrant questions Was:Re[2]: Bad karma - a kind of punning, but not only - I have got an issue with nodejs' karma module while installing gulp...

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu Jun 4 16:06:17 CDT 2015

Cool. Regarding downloading of the Ubuntu image, once it is downloaded it caches it so if you ever spin up a new imagine it doesn't have to fetch the whole Ubuntu image again.

Regarding your second question, yes it does run VirtualBox so to speak. VirtualBox has an API interface and hooks, so Vagrant is able create, pause, save, halt, destroy and interface with your VirtualBox vm from a series of commands from the command line without you ever seeing VirtualBox running in any way and the vm is headless too.

Of course, if you choose to open the VirtualBox interface, you will see your vagrant vms listed and running.

Have fun with it! It works great for dev teams who want a consistent dev environment for projects without having to clutter their with tools and libraries (which can conflict between different projects) and not having to depend on a dedicated dev server. And the other benefit is that vagrant/VirtualBox is cross platform so your devs can work on whatever OS they prefer.

- Hans