[dba-Tech] Google Chrome: Error 'Cross origin requests are only supported for protocol schemes: http, data, chrome, chrome-extension, https, chrome-extension-resource.'

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Jun 6 13:24:15 CDT 2015

 Hi Jim --

All the links in the "HTML + js" app I'm cooking here are relative.
FF works with this HTML app and ignores "cross domain" requests' issues (there are no cross domain requests in this app AFAIU).
It's a kind of local HTML app for me - and FF handles it smoothly.

But Google Chrome doesn't.

I will use FF, no problem. Just thought if there could be a simple trick to make Google Chrome working with the same HTML app.

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Saturday, June  6, 2015 11:45 AM -06:00 from Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>Oh dear... I had hoped that we were able to get away from all these browser disparities.
>
>I have run into this "cross domain" problem so many times. It is a fairly recent issue supposedly to guard against cross site attacks. It seems that each browser has it own interpretation of what represents a domain's range.
>
>When you are running everything from Localhost domains are not a problem but when the site is moved to a webserver then how relative and absolute links are managed become an issue. Hard coding for internal links usually works but if an absolute link is built in code, like in a variable, then interpretation becomes browsers dependent. There is three ways around this; one, build all absolute links via server side code, two, use only relative links and three, assuming you have a server BE in place, use the server's configuration file to set the base parameters.
>
>My choice, as using the server to handle things that are really FE issues is a waste of resources, is to write all internal site code as relative links. In 2008, I had to completely rewrite the DBA sites code as that is when the browser change took place and I didn't want that little site to be server dependent.
>
>Jim

<<< skipped >>>