[dba-Tech] ownCloud

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 16 01:15:07 CDT 2015

Hi All:

I now have a fully functional ownCloud, running on one of my servers. Its accounts can be accessed either through a web interface or through a secure pipe via a desktop client. The desktop client runs on every platform I have tested: XP, 2003 and 2008 server, a variety of Linux’s, Windows10, Android but I can not get it to work on my Windows7?

Anyway, it works like a private DropBox. In a business environment, there is virtually no limit to how granulated the accounts and user access can be made. These ownCloud instances can be connected (federated) to clusters of OC versions and data can easily and securely be transferred outside of pubic or third-party private hosting.

I have been working on building, editing, sharing and deleting accounts and watching how the changes ripple through the system. The next step is to start working on collaboration between products like calendars, word documents and spreadsheet...