[dba-Tech] Has anyone kickstarted?

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:09:17 CDT 2015

I got my start in electronics back in the 70s.  By '76 I had built my
first ucomputer with a cassete drive for storage and a dumb terminal for
video.  In 1982 I built my own SBC from a kit - an 80186 with 512k ram
and a dual 8" floppy running CPM86.

In the mid 90s I was hired to build a bill paying machine down in
Mexico, using a PC running Windows and interfacing to a bar code scanner
for the bill data, bill acceptor and coin acceptor and a dot matrix
printer printing on rolls of paper for the receipt.  I basically did the
entire design, from finding and buying the pieces and parts  to writing
the database (in Access 2.0).

After that (same company) I built a debit card vending machine which ran
on a Z-World SBC, interfaced to a bill acceptor, and vended a phone
debit card using a motor driving a ram plate, with LEDs to sense vend
position.  The data was stored internally and dumped to a commercial HHC
over RS232.  Again I speced, researched, purchased and designed it all
and wrote the vending code in C.  The prototyping and manufacturing was
done by the company I was working for.  But we were a tiny little company.

Both of those machines actually went into production, though I am pretty
sure neither is still in use today.

So I have the background to do ucontroller stuff.  Today's SBCs are in
another universe compared to what I developed on back in the 90s though
in fact they've just shrunk the same stuff down into a smaller space.
The debit card vendor ran on a 20 mhz z80 with 256 K ram and some EARom
to store stuff long term, sat on a 5x5 PCB, and cost $150 in
quantities.  Today the Beaglebone Black has all the I/O and more, plus a
gigahertz dual core with a gbyte RAM and runs Linux, and sits on a
credit card PCB.  Woof!  And it costs $35 in unit quantities.  Atmel
ucontrollers which would completely handle my little widget would cost
$3.  Software for doing the schematics is now free.  Software for doing
the PCB is now free.  Getting the PCB made is now waaaay low cost and
can be done in very low quantities.  CAD for physical design is free or
low cost.  3D Printers allow prototyping the physical (plastic)
containers and are cheap, even to buy.  So getting a start-up running is
just so much cheaper now than even 15 years ago.

Of course doing it all myself will be a lot of work.  But if I can come
up with a working prototype and then use KickStarter to get it off the
ground...

We'll see.

I could use a good retirement project.  Or a project that would allow me
to retire.  Either one!!!

John W. Colby