[dba-Tech] Single slit interference

John W. Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 08:19:50 CDT 2015

I am not a physicist so much of this is lost on me but I found the whole
concept of "each point of a wave being a source for an identical wave"
fascinating.  The guy does a remarkable job of explaining this
graphically, along with the "how and why" of interference.

One thing I wish he had covered is what happens with full spectrum
light.  He discusses it in terms of single wavelength (color) light, and
how you get specific points of sum (bright) and the rest interference
(dark).  I think that this is why we see a spectrum with full spectrum
light, each color sums only at a single point(s) on "the wall" but of
course this implies that we would see a full spectrum, much fainter, on
either side of the major point.

BTW this same guy does other videos, one of which is about polarization,
what it is, and what "circular polizarization" is, and how they use that
in 3D movie glasses.  More cool stuff.

That is one of the cool things about YouTube, when you find an
interesting subject (or author) you can poke around for similar stuff.

At any rate, in the photo-spectrometer I built

http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/desktop-spectrometry-kit-3-0

They use a single slit on the end you see in this photograph, to "pre
filter" the light before sending it through a diffraction grating.  It
seems that the slit is used to crudely polarize the light, i.e. only
accept light waves rippling in a specific direction.  Horizontal to the
box if I visualize it correctly. Though I could be wrong about that.

One thing I am certain of, there are far smarter minds than mine and
that is a good thing generally.

John W. Colby