[dba-Tech] Who has installed the latest Visual Studio?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon May 4 20:03:04 CDT 2015

As is common knowledge, the new Microsoft Visual Studio is out on all platforms.

https://code.visualstudio.com/Download

When I heard this I was absolutely amazed at the speed this software roll out was accomplished. The process rather than years took weeks:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/04/29/microsoft-releases-free-visual-studio-code-and-visual-studio-2015-rc

Well, now I know how it was accomplished and it has been accomplished by using Open Source and it now all makes sense:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/04/29/microsofts-new-code-editor-is-built-on-googles-chromium

<quote>
What Microsoft didn’t say when announcing the new editor was how it built Visual Studio Code. In a move that might seem a little surprising, given the regular animosity between the two companies, the editor is built on top of Chromium, the open source version of Google’s Chrome browser.

The app is built using an open source desktop application framework developed by GitHub called Electron. Electron uses HTML5, JavaScript, and other Web technologies, using Chromium for presentation, and io.js (a fork of node.js) to tie it all together.
</quote>

This is stellar and actually very smart. Microsoft may have been late to the game but they are learning fast.