[dba-Tech] A new OS for cheap

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri May 22 13:05:09 CDT 2015

For all those old laptops, tablets and desktops far past their prime, here is a new OS from Google and Ubuntu called Chromixium.

Its requirements are extremely modest:

Summary

    1GB USB device or DVD-R/RW
    1GHZ 32 bit Processor, Intel/AMD (dual core preferred)
    512MB RAM (1GB preferred)
    4GB hard disk space (8GB prefered)
    Video graphics capable of 800x600 resolution (1024x600 or better preferred)
    Wired (ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) Internet access
    A computer that is capable of booting from a DVD or USB

On the above hardware this OS is very fast. (I have been running in on a 32 bit Virtual disk and it very fast...considering.)

http://itsfoss.com/chromixiumos-released/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=http_itsfosscom_chromixiumos_released

...and...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/chromixium/?source=typ_redirect

...and,,,

http://chromixium.wikidot.com/minimum-requirements

...and direct from the source...

http://chromixium.org/about

PS For installing Chromixium on a VD of your choice see the the following link: http://chromixium.wikidot.com/testing-chromixium-in-a-virtual-machine
and enter the password “user” and the installer will open. I currently have setup the configuration to 1 processor, 1 GB of RAM and 20GB hard drive space and though slowest it still runs very stably. Note, that it is as you would suspect, Google-centric but other apps can be downloaded. (It even runs MS 365 without issue. ;-))