[dba-Tech] Tethering your computer

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:05:08 CST 2015

I use a Samsung Tab S 8.5 driving a real monitor via a little usb video
dongle widget.  Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.  I then remote desktop
into a server and it (mostly) is identical to doing the same from a PC.
All over a wifi provided by my phone.

It is possible that I could do the same natively on my Samsung Tab4
phone (video monitor / bluetooth mouse and keyboard) and skip the tablet
entirely.  I will try that next time I am on the boat where ATM I do not
have a PC.

I bought a little dongle thingie that connects between my tablet and the
video monitor.

For a little while I was using RD directly on a Samsung TAB S 10.5 but
the native resolution of the tablet was so high and the screen so small
that it was darned difficult to read the tiny little text. Thus the 22"
Monitor.

I just leave the monitor (and dongle video adapter) / keyboard / mouse
on the boat, and carry my tablet back and forth.

Technology is wonderful... when it works.