[dba-Tech] Use a VM to create a disk image

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Oct 20 03:58:44 CDT 2015

Hi John

That should be possible, though I have never done it myself except from restoring a Windows backup which - essentially - is the same. Here is one guide:

http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/virtual-to-physical-conversions-v2p/

Note the trick with the network adapter.

Another option is to use, say, Acronis to create a backup of the running VM, then restore that to a physical drive.

Also, if the serial port is the only issue, have you tried using an USB to serial converter?

/gustav