[dba-Tech] Moving and deleting files

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 16 12:11:33 CDT 2016

Hyper-V is a leaner and faster version of our standard virtualizers VMWare and VirtualBox.

If you want to run or test many virtual file systems. Microsoft has a free Hyper-V server that anyone can download and install. To my understanding, it only comes with a command line interface but there are a number of front-end GUIs, that third parties have created, that can be installed with it. Further and more accurate details would have to come from someone like Gustav.

It might be a bit of an over-kill but if you have the time to play and want to have an very easy solution to running multiple VFSystems (after all the hard initial setup stuff is done), it might be the way to go.

Aside: Coming down the pipe are Containers via a company called Docker. When a VFS (virtual file system) is created and an application is installed, a Container can be generated and hundreds of clone can run up in minutes. These containers can also be distributed on any OS and its applications can be run. Supposedly, it will eliminate the problem of trying to get programs running on some other computer as it runs in its own very little static virtual world. It has been hard coded into the core of the Linux kernel for last twenty years and is known as KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) but Microsoft is now embracing the technology, as well... Currently, the company Docker is on contract with Microsoft to build an acceptable Windows version. MS's problem is that the tech will allow thousands of copies of any of their products, to be distributed and with no enforceable authentication or license fees... Note: the Hyper-V server, from Microsoft, is their first venture into KVM technology but as the tech is licensed as open source, Microsoft can not sell it.