[dba-Tech] CKEditor

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 18 11:59:49 CDT 2016

Hi All:

For the last couple weeks, at least in the evenings, I have been working with the CKEditor (a web based word processor for web pages) and have found it incredible. I wish that this product had been available when I was working full-time on web designing. I know there are products like Google Docs and 365 Word out there but this product is completely stand allow.

It is fully open source though there is a premium addition for download and that gives you access to support, training and a full licence to distribute the code to any commercial site.

It supports all major languages, three versions of English, even colloquial American ;-), it of course supports German, Danish, Russian and has full spell checking capabilities built in.

Forms, iframes or div tags can be used to define the section of the web page in which the editor will manage. The editing regions can be completely controlled, layout, plug-ins, backgrounds, font access, embedded scripts and scripting capabilities through configurations file js/css either globally or per page. Access to the editing features can/are of course can be strictly controlled and standardized through a login rights, local configuration files or via central editing locations.

This editor runs on all html5 websites or it can run on extended ASP.Net site or full Java sites.

My description of the product is limited, as in each day worked on it, I discover yet another few features and capabilities. If the application sounds like something you could use for yourself or for a customers the CKEditor can be downloaded from:

Download: http://ckeditor.com/download

The documentation is extensive. There are online docs of course, implementation overviews on best practices, demos along with code samples and a full SDK download that will allow anyone to quickly assemble fully functioning sites. In addition, this application is fully current, with a team of full-time developers, regular updates, over-night builds to test the latest features and a full bug management system and even an offer to any senior developer that wishes to contribute to the project.

Installation guides: http://docs.ckeditor.com/#!/guide/dev_installation

How to use: http://ckeditor.com/demo#div

As the source code is accessible the product has the potential to be extended by incorporating it with other programs. As soon as I have this editor installed and fully functional, on my client's site then, time allowing, I have a project or two in mind...