[dba-Tech] A new browser

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 22 15:07:54 CDT 2016

Hi Lambert:

It would be so nice if when a browser loaded, it stayed at or at least stayed close to its initial resource consumption. My experiences with Fire Fox and Chrome is that they will slowly eat up any amount of memory and use any amount of CPU cycles, if they reside in memory long enough. Having these applications suck up 2GB of RAM and 45 percent of the CPU is not unusual.

I have no idea of IEs memory usage as I have not used any version for a good five years... (I use it only for downloading and installing Firefox or Chrome. ;-)). I have been using the latest Opera version though, called Vivaldi and have been quite impressed with its features...whether it is a pig or not...the court is still out. I will have to wait and see but at first blush, it does uses a lot of resources but it appears to relinquish them quickly without leaving any artefacts.

I have been running QupZilla on a Raspberry PI3 and after leaving the browser running for a couple of days, with about 10 sites open, it is using a fraction of the memory used by either FF or Chrome. Both these afore mentioned browsers eventually froze up the PI...because neither was designed to run in such a restrictive environment. Fortunately, I could just go in via the terminal and kill their processes.

It will take a few more weeks of testing before the final stamp of approval can be given to the QupZilla browser but for the moment I am very impressed with its simplicity and lean usage of system resources.