[dba-Tech] Baidu does really big data

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 26 23:10:51 CDT 2016

Very interesting.

I worked with some Oracle databases, for our provincial government. They were never that large but they did use the method of never deleting or updating a record without a backup. In these cases a unique transaction number was added to the changed record. The backup file had all the particulars of the transaction and when searching for all the related records a reciprocal call was made within the backup file. In the days that I worked on this database, files were limited by the size of the hard drives. Big drives were astronomically expensive to buy and maintain.

Now a days, there are no such size limits. Single drives are huge...4 to 6 TB but that is just the start. There has always been RAIDS of various configurations but by their physical configuration requirements their performance tops out quickly and even with redundancy there is always the danger of data lost.

The new databases all sit on top of massive systems that connect together as a single drive. The software is Linux, Hadoop and ZFS and anyone so inclined could build and connect all their systems through a similar method. Most companies just use Cloud suppliers as the tech can be formattable.

The huge Chinese databases are just built on top of Kylin (an Ubuntu derivative) using the same tech. Thousands of drives with one file system...hundreds of blades are added daily. It truly boggles the mind. The big thing is that data lost is functionally non-existent. Another staggering concept.

If I was starting in big databases today all that I would have learned about relational databases would be just a subsystem that might assemble the data gathered by these giant NOSQL DB Back Ends.

Aside: It is interesting to note that MySQL/MariaDB, 64bit version can access 256TB of data, 2,147,483,647 records and can run on top of Linux and ZFS FS, of equal or greater size...a theoretical maximum of course. I guess that's more than the MS Access MDB can access? ;-)