[dba-Tech] How can I set up a web-server at home?

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 7 12:32:09 CST 2016

On 1/7/2016 11:10, Arthur Fuller wrote:
> I have three computers plus a tablet. Two of the three are running Win 10,
> with the third currently on Win 7. I want to set up a local web-server on
> that third box, which currently mostly does nothing but consume
> electrcricity. I have a solid cable connection.
>
> What I need is a recipe for how to turn this ancient box into a web-server
> that will host my own site. Can anyone help or at least point me to
> articles about this subject?
>
> I don't expect a large amount of traffic -- maybe a dozen or so visitors
> per day.

It can be done with Microsoft tools eg ...

http://www.thetechmentor.com/posts/how-to-host-a-web-site-from-your-computer/

but arrrgh. You can do it more efficiently with generic tools eg ...

http://superuser.com/questions/536533/for-hosting-and-publish-a-website-at-home-computer

but it's still complicated, a chronic maintenance problem, about as
unreliable as your weather and your cats. Most always it turns out to be
way less effort to buy shared hosting for pennies a day.

PB