[dba-Tech] Playing bass - was Re: Why I just destroyed my cell phone

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Fri Oct 28 23:20:37 CDT 2016

Playing music - the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :)

Would it work better for you to play left handed?

I played a u-bass a few months ago.  With those thick rubbery strings? The conga player in my Cuban band had one and brought it to a jam for me to try.  Amazing!  It had pretty high quality bass sound when amplified - very impressive. A Kala?

I came late to this bass thing - like you.  But I switched to upright a couple years ago from electric - playing rock and blues.  Much harder than electric.  But right for the genre.

But I play standards - don't play anything I can't whistle or sing in the shower. So no stuff like Coltrane.  Just what they call straight ahead.  It's different but it ain't so difficult.

But I'll play anything (musical whore). Played Dixieland for a few years until we...well...disbanded.

I'm bass in the house band at a local coffee house this Sunday - a Woody Guthrie tribute.

http://www.brick15.com/

https://www.brick15.com/event/woody-guthrie-tribute/

I got my start playing out through a Meetup site - met a lot of musicians that way.  Check it out in your area.  Then you can go play with people.