[dba-Tech] Question about VMs

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 19:19:30 CDT 2016

Although I've been using Oracle VirtualBox for years, I confess that I have
very little knowledge as to how this stuff works. It all seems to be inside
out to me. First I have to run Windows or Linux and then run VirtualBox and
then run one of my VMs, and this seems fundamentally backwards to me. As I
see it with these increasing bad eyes, the first thing that should boot is
the VM manager, and then let me select which VM(s) I want to run.

Is there a product that takes that approach? Or if not, why not? What am I
missing here?

It might seem that multi-boot is a if not The solution, but over the years
I have had dozens of problems trying to set up a machine to multi-boot. It
would appear that my principal villain is Grub, which keeps screwing up my
boxes and then I have to devote another weekend to buying flowers, begging,
and replacing her entire wardrobe.

Maybe my problem is that I begin with a Windows box, and then try some
other OSes atop that. Maybe I should just do a White Wedding all over that
box and Start Again, making the Ubuntu installation my Main Squeeze, and
and then seeing if she will allow me to have a few Virtual Mistresses (VMs,
in case you're not following my leaps from metaphor to metaphor).

--
Arthur