[dba-Tech] Extranet VPN for testing customers' web sites/web API solutions

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 3 18:14:01 CDT 2017

Hi Guys:

I have come late to this conversation but I will add some of my thoughts to using a personal site VPN. There are a number of medium and high-end routers that have OpenVPN pre-installed on them (https://www.bestvpn.com/best-vpn-routers/). A friend has a medium priced router, on his site and we have been using the router to allow us to remotely connect and service a few of our websites. He has a number of servers running on a hyper-v server and by re-routing access via the port number we can work adjacent with complete isolation.

I have not setup the server end but have the OpenVPN client installed on a couple of my stations.

OTOH, I have a SSH/server/client setup on all my stations and servers which allows me to securely access any station or server, on my network, from anywhere in the world. Of course SSH protocol is only command line. I understand that SSH is now on all windows servers(?).

When a graphic display is needed I have been using the X2Go application (http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php)...it runs using SSH. An associate has been using the product on a client's site (30 to 50 stations) and it has been reliable. Note: depending on the motherboard and/or graphic card, the app can take advantage of hardware acceleration.

Jim

PS Shamil; Is the Russian government's limitations on the use of some VPN services going to affect your company's business?