[dba-Tech] A new programming language

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 28 23:32:48 CST 2017

Hi Stuart:

PowerBASIC is definitely a powerful language. In it own environment I doubt whether it can be challenged.

OTOH, how many environments does PowerBASIC run in?...It obviously runs in Windows but does it run on all versions of Windows? Does it run on OSx or Linux or in the Cloud? Is it compatible with browsers? Can PowerBASIC be compiled to virtually any type of cell phone? Does it utilize multiple cores? Is it multi-threaded? Can it use hardware acceleration and/or use graphic card acceleration. Can PowerBASIC be compiled into multiple languages depending on the environment in which it is going to be run? The .Net editor should be able to be configured to support the language as it can use the MS C++ compiler. Of course we can not beat the price of NIM...

This is not to knock PowerBASIC but I have found versatility has a price tag and it is usually in size. OTOH, PB is probably very stable and not in Alpha and Beta mode with components missing.

I have done no more than start to download the language and hope to have time to test it out and see if it lives up to billing.