[dba-Tech] non-Exchange Outlook users

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 08:40:41 CDT 2017

How to folks not on Exchange sync their email accounts with Outlook 2016?

I use Outlook 2016 and have an Office 365 E3 license. I am alone - I don't
have Exchange. I'm using a Windows 10 64-bit system, but I installed the
32-bit version.

I recently purchased a new laptop and wanted to move my email accounts, and
tasks, calendar, and contact items to the new laptop, which it seems, you
can't easily do. I tried the pst route and that made a mess. I exported to a
data file and imported on the new system. I got my calendar items, but not
my contacts or tasks. Getting email has never been the problem - getting my
calendar, tasks, and contacts on the new laptop is the problem.

So, next effort was to move to Mail and just dump Outlook 2016 desktop. It
will not work with my gmail accounts. I tried creating them manually too.. I
read this morning that Mail requires two-step authentication with g-mail
accounts. I originally had that but removed it during the initial move - I
think. I started down this road a few weeks ago and I can't remember what
all I've tried and what hasn't worked. I don't want to set that all up again
for all three accounts if it doesn't really matter or if there's an easier
way.

Susan H.