[dba-Tech] VPN Recommendations

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 31 18:28:14 CDT 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Hooper" <fahooper at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of Hardware and Software issues" <dba-tech at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 12:57:48 PM
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] VPN Recommendations

A VPN is an "encrypted tunnel" between two points. Your local end is
software either on a computer (PC or phone) or on a router. The "exit
node" is a computer elsewhere in the world. In between your connection
is noise. When your connection leaves the VPN it becomes visible --
generally, you can choose where this is. I usually use New York,
assuming I'll be lost in the clutter.

That exit node has to be provided and maintained by someone, which is
why there's a charge for a VPN. The faster the connection the more
robust (and expensive) that node has to be.

A router with active VPN software encrypts everything going though it
without the user taking any actions; that's as close to turnkey as it
gets -- but you'll have to buy a router that's already prepared to make
it turnkey. Note that this only protects you when you're working through
the router. If you're at Starbucks you're not protected unless you've
installed and use VPN software; this will come with a VPN subscription.

Fred