[dba-Tech] nextCloud 12 is here

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue May 30 20:44:59 CDT 2017

Hi All:

It was not long ago that personal Cloud hosting was introduced via an application called ownCloud. At the time, it was revolutionary in its scope. Since then the program has forked and is now known as nextCloud and now version 12 has been introduced and is global in its scope and capabilities.

Our family has been using nextCloud and find it great for passing maps, calendars, collaborating on doc and spreadsheets as well as passing around children's photos, dance videos and private information and even video chats...though a PI doesn't really have the muscle for video conferencing. ;-) Until a main server is ready for a nextCloud upgrade we will continue using a Raspberry Pi 3 as the main server. The program can run on virtually anything and the server can be accessed either via a client installation  (Windows, Apple and Linux) or through any browser on any OS, or smartphone.

The new nextCloud is capable of supporting hundred of millions of users:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6cmdpn/nextcloud_12_is_out_with_a_new_architecture/?st=j3153l0m&sh=d0d97ada
http://bit.ly/2rSKlIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wcLS9xxMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW9zhKLIrsM

The features of this application go on and on. This may very well be the first truly global file sharing and collaborating software in the world. It has a complete management-user interface, load balancing, security levels and fine grained user access...

It is another German university orchestrated master piece.