[dba-Tech] Linux compatibility testing

John Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Thu Nov 9 13:53:26 CST 2017

After all of the promotion that I've seen on this list from certain individuals, I decided that I'd start repurposing old PCs rather than recycling them. I know of so many lower income people that only want to check email, browse the web a bit and play some simple games like solitaire, etc. Now it appears the idea of installing Linux on old PCs for them is a bad idea. I would've thought the Linux community was more advanced than "trial & error" testing. I don't have the time to waste on trial & error testing.

When I look at the hardware compatibility lists I see nothing but an effort to sell higher end computers with Linux.

After following up on this idea, I'm just thoroughly disappointed. Apparently low end Windows PC do have a place in the world after all.