[dba-Tech] Alternatives to MS Office

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 14:40:29 CST 2018

On 2/5/2018 13:37, Arthur Fuller wrote:
> I promise that I shall look into it. That could become a hobby for the
> next year or two. I know one or two things about VBA and have written
> tons of code in that language.

Right. Googling for "port vba to libreoffice" brings up
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/36699/how-to-convert-macro-of-vba-of-ms-excel-to-libreoffice-calc/
which says ...

"VBA cannot be adopted [sic] into calc."

... and https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=88044
which says ...

"The MS VBA and the API+StarBasic are not compatibile. You must use the
native fileformats and must rewrite all of your macros based on the
Application Programming Interface of the AOO, if you want work with the
macros efficiently in the Apache OpenOffice."

... which seems to suggest that MS macro-support code hardwires its file
formats and other details, what a surprise.

PB