[dba-Tech] Alternatives to MS Office

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:57:25 CST 2018

Somebody along this thread has confused VBA with macros. They are a tad
compatible but at the end of the day radically different. VBA is a language
that can combine Word, Excel and Access (also PowerPoint, but I don't work
in that) into an app that can do wondrous things. To cite just one example,
I wrote an app for Franklin Templeton that a) imported about 100
spreadsheets per month-end, grabbed their significant results, created a
~100 sheet workbook from said results, exported those results into an
Access database for safekeeping, and piped those results into a Word
template-document, which was in turn sent to ~500 key players in a dozen
cities. Total execution time was ~5 minutes.

I'm not bragging about my skills. Any competent VBA developer could have
done the same, in more or less hours than I billed. This is intended as a
statement about the power of VBA; if and when LibreOffice or OpenOffice
reaches this level, I will happily jump ship and go there. But we are a
very long way from that.

A.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Peter Brawley <peter.brawley at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> On 2/5/2018 13:37, Arthur Fuller wrote:
>
>> I promise that I shall look into it. That could become a hobby for the
>> next year or two. I know one or two things about VBA and have written tons
>> of code in that language.
>>

> And https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Macros suggests that porting MS
> Office macros to LibreOffice would involve porting from V BA to Python.
>
> PB
>
> ------
>

>> A.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Peter Brawley <
>> peter.brawley at earthlink.net <mailto:peter.brawley at earthlink.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2/4/2018 7:40, Arthur Fuller wrote:
>>
>>         So the question arises, why doesn't somebody write a VBA for
>>         Linux? Way
>>         beyond my skill set, but some of you people are way smarter
>>         than I, so...?
>>

>>     Good question, Basic is an execrable language but reams of
>>     Windows/VBA code are there to be ported, why isn't anyone doing it?
>>
>>     PB
>>

>> --
>> Arthur

Arthur