[dba-Tech] Microsoft now owns Github

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 5 00:09:32 CDT 2018

Hi All:

It is official, Microsoft now owns Github:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/technology/microsoft-github-cloud-computing.html
https://nyti.ms/2kPL1cU

In the meantime, Gitlab has had their servers maxed out at over 50 to 100 thousand project migrations an hour, since the announcement. I guess this is what "panic" looks like. It is not that Microsoft cannot be trusted, it is just that developers don't trust them. Even friends at Microsoft have been moving... ;-)

I personally am not concerned but the last such similar developer site MS had, collapsed due to lack of interest. Maybe the new Github will be a profit making site and that will guarantee yet another postmortem. Of course, Microsoft could take a hands-off approach but only time will tell.

Any comments from the developers, here?