[dba-Tech] New transfer protocol called Mosh

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 28 13:49:41 CDT 2018

Hi All:

There are a number of transfer protocols each with their own capabilities. When I use Windows, I tend to use RDP (Remmina for Linux to Windows) but though it is great for viewing the screen and controlling a remote server there are few remote file management and security features built in. Now that Linux is accessible within Windows, I have started using SSH to do all my file management, within an end-to-end encrypted pipe and using batch "BASH" scripts for full automation. Below is a full over-view of the current major remote systems:

https://poshsecurity.com/blog/2015/6/22/why-remoting-vs-ssh-vs-rdp-shouldnt-be-a-thing
http://bit.ly/2Kf0kuF

I have recently started to replace all my remote RDP type connection with the package X2Go. It provides all the graphical feature I would expect from RDP 6.x but has a few built-in file management features. It is equally as fast, uses SSH encryption, under the hood and uses an OS version of NX called NeatX. X2Go, as of late, runs without issues on all Windows desktops and servers. Having to only need one application for all my GUI needs with most basic file management features, has been great. :-) It has taken a while to find just the right remote product; check out the following list of "remote" application...a staggering array (I think most are of poor performance and expensive.):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

The big news is that a new modern protocol called Mosh has just been introduced. It gives all the file management and security of SSH but also applies the ability of handling unstable and roaming connections...great for mobile connections. Supposedly, there are plans to embed this new tech in core Linux version 5.0 and will run on virtually every operating system, like Windows (...and will be a Windows standard protocol as well). Check out the following description and video:

https://mosh.org/#techinfo  and https://mosh.org/

...and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=701&v=XsIxNYl0oyU

I have been doing some testing and even in beta it is working very well. We had a group of relatives over, were traveling all around the country side and could continuously off-load dozens (hundreds?) of pictures, to my servers at home. It was nice to be able to have a continuous connection while wandering around...with my cell phone. (tablet and laptop).