[dba-Tech] Write once run everywhere

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 13 15:53:31 CDT 2018

Hi Paul:

Before I forget to mention it there is one more component that must be installed and setup for Electron. It is NodeJS...a superfast database connector that runs between your frontend (Electron) and your backend database. It supports all major database but for brevity, I have chosen an example that connects to MS SQL. Below is a quote on its pluses and minuses:

"Node.js uses a single process to handle multiple requests. A single process tends to use less memory than multiple processes. That is why they required less servers.

In practice, since Node.js is based on JavaScript asynchronous programming, as long as the requests execute mostly I/O operations, like database access, network access, file system access, most of the time the CPU will be just waiting, rather than executing work.

That is fine for pure I/O based processing. For more CPU intensive requests, like for instance image processing that you do when you rescale uploaded images for instance, the CPU processing would become significant and the single process approach of Node.js would not be good anymore, as the Web server would be choking frequently, with all requests being stopped every time a request requires image processing or other CPU intensive tasks done by Node.js." (In the rare occasions that CPU heavy processes are required I would suggest using the old tried and true favourite, ADO or ADO.Net as these connectors are built into every Windows version, they may be slow but they are reliable under all conditions...though a lot of graphic work is now being performed, on the desktop, using the JavaScript's new canvas feature.)

To install NodeJS and how to connect it to your MS SQL server here is a very good set of instructions from Microsoft. For Windows desktops/servers:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/developer-get-started/node/windows/
http://bit.ly/2KkvJHA

...and for Ubuntu (my current favourite Linux version):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/developer-get-started/node/ubuntu/
http://bit.ly/2jSp0tn

There are instruction for setting up, MacOS, Redhat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, as well.

It is really easy to install and works with the Electron framework frontend.