[dba-Tech] Cornered?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 16 17:46:38 CDT 2018

I have been using the webserver Iginx and it is very fast...wow and it has load balancing built right in.

I have used IIS and Apache in the pass but have wanted to up the game. It was also a good chance to host each site I am responsible for in their own Containers (easy restoration in the event of corruption, hardware failure or even a hack) and with their own IP addresses. It is all good...but then it is a good time to register the sites with LetsEncrypt (https://letsencrypt.org) as very soon all sites without a "https" header will be accompanied by a browser safety warning when accessed.

This is where I am just not smart enough or able to research enough to solve this problem. Has anyone else meet and unraveled this challenge?

I think the problem relates around registering LetsEncrypt, on the Iginx server, within a Container? This is not like certifying the hosted webserver on the hosting server or even automating the re-certification, every ninety day, that part is easy...it is the addition of Docker Containers that are the challenging factor.

The following may lead to a solution but I have not tested it yet. Any comments? Am I getting close?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26028971/docker-container-ssl-certificates