[dba-Tech] Everything Question

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 19 23:12:46 CDT 2018

An interesting aside about the app Everything:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_(software)

Mind you, other apps that are supposed to be alternative of the product are equally as bad or worse because of they're filled with crapware. Everything is a good product, from an individual PC, point of view (which is just fine in your situation) but from a business network type environment it can be dangerous as it breaks all security restrictions; ie. Just select any program that it exposes and it will run and run in administrator mode...

As a Linux enthusiast, I have been using an application called fsearch (based on Everything) and it has protections against running applications flagged above the current user's security level. It also allows me to index and search my entire network (has to run from a Linux machine), a mixture of Linux and Microsoft...but indexing 10 computers of mixed OSs, 32/64 bit and varied performance levels is an exercise in patience...it took a couple of hours and a bit to index approx 20TBs of data...but searching after the index was created was very fast. (I found I had about 300 file with MDB in the name...too many backups!) PS It even reads across the internet to sites like Google Drive and of course Dropbox.

Prices for 10TB SATA (Seagate) drives are about $260 or cheaper. This size would be great for you as you wouldn't have to worry about capacity again. Unfortunately its not a SSD and to re-index a drive of that size, filled, would not provide immediate gratification. ;-)

Aside: If you do want to open any Microsoft MDB file in any Debian based Linux, ie Ubuntu just install one app, from the command prompt and the rest is easy: sudo apt install mdbtools. I have used Wine to run MS Access on my 32/64bit Ubuntu 16.04 version machines and it runs excellent: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32983. Haven't tried any other versions but...MS Access data saves fine into DB format excellent for use with the latest version of SQLite and subsequent web use. Google has a excellent access2sqlite tool for the task.