[dba-Tech] WordPress Question(s)

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:25:54 CDT 2018

I've tried several times to create the WP blog of my desire, and failed
miserably 100% of the time. So my first question is, How can I delete my
failed attempts? There are several, with slightly different names, and I'd
like to nuke them all and start over. How can I accomplish this?

2. I have sketched (in text) an outline of precisely what I intend the blog
to look like; it's possible that I misunderstand the concept of a blog, and
that maybe what I ought to be creating is a website rather than a blog.

3. I'm feeling totally overwhelmed by WP, and maybe I'm starting off with a
goal far beyond my capabilities, but given that I have an outline and a
concept of the home page, I don't know how to proceed from my text outline
to the result, and frankly find the WP UI confusing and a tad intimidating.

4. I chose to do this is WP because the desired result will be primarily
text (perhaps with graphics within said text). I think of The New York
Review of Books as my model; a Front Page listing the latest posts, buttons
narrowing the posts by subject (i.e. physics, politics, film), and so on.

5. I'm having trouble distinguishing when I'm logging on as Admin or
Reader, and need some help with this.

6. Perhaps my initial mistake was my decision to create a blog rather than
a site. The more I consider this, the more I gravitate toward the position
that my initial mistake was to think of my intention as a blog, but perhaps
I'm underestimating the capabilities of a blog, or perhaps not. I want to
wake up and write something(s) each morning, and categorize those writings,
and have them easily searched into the previous writings, and for any
interested readers to post.

In sum, I have a pretty solid idea what I intend, but am having massive
difficulties getting from Here to There. Suggestions, pointers to relevant
tutorials, etc. would be most welcome. Maybe I should begin with something
less ambitious? But that returns us to Question 1: how to destroy failed
attempts easily?

That would enable me to start anew, and not occupy the WP space with my
abortive attempts.

--
Arthur