[dba-Tech] Trying to unsubscribe

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 19 12:17:32 CDT 2018

When a site or pop-up appears and I am unsure of it origins, I just right-mouse-click and select "View Page Source" or <ctrl> + "u". Generally a quick scan reveals any code that directs or posts input data out then, if curious follow it or check the destination's particulars. I tend to use the resources of some site like:

https://whois.domaintools.com/

If more specific info is required and your using Firefox, just right-mouse-click the element in question and select "Inspect Element" from the pop-down menu. From there you can do a full inspection on the selected element or anything else related to in the site; styles, style editors, debugger, performance, memory, data sources, any activity, warning on if a site has links to non "https" locations etc etc... Also pay attention to the list of site errors and further explanations (anything from coding errors to cross-platform jumps).

If I was concerned about the "To" address, in your case, I would just call up "GoDaddy" and ask. It may be legit after all or it may imply that someone has hacked and/or stolen some of their code for nefarious reasons.

Jim

PS It might be worth your while to upgrade your business sites from "http" to "https". I am sure your website hosts can do that (unless you rolled your own). It wouldn't be long before all "http" sites will come up with a warning screen to all your site viewers.