[dba-Tech] Check out Distros

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:05:21 CDT 2019

I run VMs on my Unraid server.  It runs on an AMD  2600 6c/12t with 32 gigs
RAM.  I can manually assign the core and the matching thread for that code.
Pretty handy.

With my current cpu I tend to pass in 2 cores and 4 threads.  It really
runs pretty well considering it is Windows 10 Pro.  If I were to need more
horse power I can just shut down the vm, assign more cores and bring it
back up. Dito assign memory as needed.  Also pretty handy.  I can (and do)
pass in my AMD RX580 video card to the VM as well which means native
graphics.  I can also pass in a mouse and keyboard so it is essentially a
full blown hardware system in a VM.  BTW the VM "drive" file is hosted on a
1 tb NVME SSD drive.

ATM I only run Linux Mint latest version.  Technically it looks very
similar to the Windows VM.  I don't know Linux well enough to do battle
with various distros.  Mint just works and so that is what I use.

I have been waiting for the new Ryzen 3xxx CPUs which are with us now.  I
was dreaming of a 16c / 32t in this machine.  The 12c / 24t is released,
though not in stock.  TBH now I am waiting for Intel to drop their prices
to see if AMD drops theirs as well.  $500 for a 12c / 24t is just too rich
for my blood.  My dream had the 16c / 32t at that price.  OK... my fantasy
had that price.

But given I have been patiently waiting for the better part of a year, I
suppose i can manage a few more months to see what black friday brings.  😁

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:02 PM Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> For those of who a familiar with a few desktop versions of Linux here is a
> location that will allow you to pre-test a version before ever trying to
> install it on your system:
>
> https://distrotest.net/
>
> Depending on the version you select to review it may take longer to
> complete a OS clone and display on your browser screen. There will also be
> a bit a delay between mouse movement and selection but of course the
> version is an OS that is running remotely and is only as quick as your
> internet bandwidth. Some distros are as little as 60K and others can be up
> to 4GB (Considering the size of a fully install Windows 10 distro may be
> 40GB in size.)
>
> Aside: The server hosting the Linux clones are using the Debian core
> distro and the incredible QEMU emulator and virtualizer (Xen and KVM
> virtual machines.):
>
> https://www.qemu.org/
>
> For more information on emulators and virtualizers check out the following:
>
> https://www.techradar.com/news/best-virtual-machine-software
>
> Aside: It is fairly easy to run up a Windows 10 OS distro on my Ubuntu
> desktop. (https://dennisnotes.com/note/20180614-ubuntu-18.04-qemu-setup/)
> Good fun but as Windows is a pig and a slow one at that. Setting up remote
> access works but only tried a couple of connections to the virtual Windows
> 10 system. My test was running off a small 64bit Linux desktop with only
> 8GB of RAM...should have 16GB. There is a few ways to completely strip out
> all the bloatware and create a smaller image but I have not tried that yet.
> VirtualBox and VMware could be used but this product is definitely faster.
>
> Jim

Colby Consulting