[dba-Tech] To V. or Not to V.

fhtapia at gmail.com fhtapia at gmail.com
Sat May 18 09:28:55 CDT 2019

Hey Arthur

If you were describing setting up a personal VPN such as your mint box
would be the server and maybe you use your android tablet when traveling,
This could be a excellent inexpensive solution because when traveling and
using other people’s networks, not using a vpn can be a big issue
especially if you do any sort of online banking.

However, if you meant it more so that all your own communications to the
web would be further encrypted, you will need to pay for a 3rd party
service. Depending on your location that might be a good idea, as some
online services are geolocated and a vpn can help mitigate that so you can
catchup on GOT ( Game of Thrones) or what not.

Remember that not all vpns are built the same, some have logging or simply
ip logging. Both which are a bad idea, because if that services is
compromised it’s bad for your data.

Ultimately remember that VPNs only protect the data in flight, so using
online services where you commit your data (fb, Twitter, google) can still
track you once you’ve logged in.

Hth,
Francisco Tapia

-Francisco <http://twitter.com/seecoolguy>